Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Thinking for yourself

This past weekend at church the sermon focused around the Parable of the Rich Fool in the Book of Luke. While it had a powerful message regarding how being in rich in money and possessions means nothing in the eyes of God, I left reflecting on a different message.

During the homily, the priest discussed how Jesus teaches by way of parables in order to spark our imaginations and help us better reflect on our own lives and reach our own conclusions particular to our personal circumstances.  He mentioned that Jesus was never apt to wag his finger at people while reciting a list of rules and regulations, but rather used parables to make people think for themselves. He never imposed on them what their beliefs and lifestyle should be. Listening to the sermon I started thinking about how fortunate I was to be brought up around people who likewise encouraged me to think for myself.
I was raised with the bare minimum of religious principles. I rarely attended church and religion was not exactly a regular topic of discussion around the dinner table. As I became older, my lack of religious upbringing started to bother me. I felt like I was missing this really crucial piece of life that everyone else around me seemed to have. But as life progressed, I came to appreciate that fact rather than loathe it.

It seems like when you are raised in a particular religion from birth, you have so many opinions determined for you right out of the gate. You are told what to believe, how/when to pray, who is allowed to marry, when you have to attend church, what actions guarantee you a spot in hell, and which religion is the “right” one.  And regardless of Jesus’ parable teachings, some things in religion still seem to be very black and white and not open for discussion.
My appreciation for not growing up in a religious family is rooted in the fact that I was allowed to develop my own beliefs….they were not imposed on me. Although I still have most of the same beliefs of my religious-based friends, the difference is that I made the decision to come to those beliefs on my own. Naturally when you have children you raise them with your same beliefs because that’s what you know, but I think sometimes giving kids a little bit more space to observe the options and choose what suits them best on their own may be a better route. And for me personally, coming to my beliefs in my own time and in my own way has resulted in incredibly strong convictions that perhaps rival even some of my most religious friends’ convictions.

Being allowed to think for yourself and draw your own conclusions on what to believe also promotes greater open-mindedness in my opinion. A lot of the people I’ve met with strong religious backgrounds are unfortunately not always the most willing to consider other beliefs and lifestyles. They believe what they believe and anything outside of that is obviously wrong. This results in being more judgmental than necessary. Like everyone, I have my judgmental moments, but I do try to be more considerate of other possibilities out there even if I don’t agree with them.  
Religion, of any kind, is a beautiful and blessed thing, but sometimes I think it has the potential to compromise our own imagination.  The Parable of the Rich Fool reminded me how Jesus himself encouraged people to think for themselves. He may have supplied the stories, but he wanted his listeners to invest the time and energy to figure out what they meant and how they could best be applied in their own lives.  I think biblical passages like this encourage everyone to think for themselves and not be so sure of everything that is told to them…even by the religious figures they hold in high regard. Even Pope Francis recently made the defining comment of “Who am I to judge?” in regards to homosexuals. I, for one, was incredibly inspired to hear the leader of the Catholic Church, which has long held a staunch stance on homosexuality, concede the fact that it is not his place to judge such matters, but rather God’s. That was a true moment of reflection and consideration of an alternative idea. This sort of reflection and growth is what is often discussed in church but not always carried out. But it is at the heart of all spiritual and faith journeys.   

No comments:

Post a Comment