Friday, October 18, 2013

What I've Learned as a Writer...

A few months ago I was approached by a former college professor who inquired as to whether I would be interested in teaching a small writing class, one morning a week before school at one of the elementary schools in town. Apparently the school was looking for someone and she suggested to the principal that I would be perfect for the job. Having no experience or real qualifications to teach, I was flabbergasted at her recommendation. But I also felt a great sense of pride. I have never had a desire to teach…none whatsoever….but I immediately saw this as an opportunity to push myself out of my comfort zone and try to ignite a spark for writing in others. After all, if it hadn’t been for my creative writing teacher in high school, I might never have pursued it as a major in college. This was my chance to impact students in the same way that my teacher had.

So I accepted.

I have only taught a few classes so far and am still struggling to find a foothold in this whole teaching business. I have dozens of ideas for writing prompts to keep the kids busy writing, but what I can’t figure out is what to actually TEACH them about writing. Grammar and the technical aspects of writing are unimportant and pointless at that age....and any age in my opinion. It’s always been my belief that anyone has the capacity in them to be a writer as long as they have true passion about what they are trying to write about. Technicalities can be taught and dealt with later. Passion is the real requirement of writing and the one thing you can’t teach.

While struggling on figuring out what to teach my kids and how to make them better writers, I began pondering all of the things I have learned about writing and being a writer in the past several years. They aren’t necessarily the kinds of things I would preach to a 4th grader but they are what I would tell anyone if they asked me what being a writer entails.

1.    Writing won’t guarantee you money, success, fame, or respect. But when done for every reason outside of those, it will bring endless fulfillment and a sense of purpose.

2.    Writing is an extremely lonely act, so it’s important to be comfortable with spending lots of time with yourself and your thoughts.

3.    Learn to toughen up your skin early on and accept that you will hear the word “no” far more often than you will ever hear “yes.”

4.    Failure and rejection is hardly a death sentence. It just means you need to keep trying and knock on the gate (or editor’s door) a little louder next time.

5.    Persistence will often times get you farther than talent, reputation, or the size of your portfolio.

6.    When you are passionate about something, pick up a pen and start writing about it right in that moment.

7.    You are never done with or above the learning process of writing. There is always something new you can learn and ways you can improve on your craft.

8.    Always take yourself seriously as a writer and don’t be ashamed or reluctant to tell people that’s what you do.

9.    Remember to thank those people who have helped you along the way to becoming a writer. People love to feel appreciated and will be more willing to help you out again in the future if you appreciate them in the beginning.

10.Write only if you cannot live without writing; write what only you alone can write.

11.Don’t fret over people who belittle your job as a writer. J.K. Rowling once scrawled ideas for Harry Potter on napkins at diners and now she has her own theme park near Disney World.

12.No matter how many or few things you’ve had published, always present yourself and your work in a professional manner. People will be more likely to take you seriously if you take yourself seriously first.

13.Take writing jobs and write about things that push you out of your comfort zone.

14.Writers often write while bleeding, but just know that those are the moments when you’ll produce your best work.

15.Write about the things that other people are too afraid, ashamed, or unable to write about.

16.The first time someone besides your mom cries after reading a piece of your work, you know you’ve really done some good work.

17.Having people ask you to help them write something may turn into the most rewarding moment of your career.

18.Describe, describe, describe. When people read something, make sure they can really see, hear, taste, feel, and touch all of the sights and sounds you are talking about. Being able to bring the page to life is what separates out the good writers from the truly great ones.

19.When all else fails, go outdoors when seeking inspiration and reason to write.

20.There may be times when writing brings you to your knees and nearly breaks you. But in the end, writing may also be the one thing that saves you.

21.Writing is not for the faint-hearted. It takes real guts to enter into and persevere through the work and life of a writer. And even if you aren’t one of those people, at least respect the ones who are trying to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment