Wednesday, December 30, 2015

The Grace & Hope of the New Year

“The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light; upon those who dwelt in the land of gloom a light has shone.” (Isaiah 9:1-6)

I had the privilege of reading the passage above during Mass on Christmas Eve this year. And while it alludes to Christ’s arrival in the world and the grace He brought with him, I find it likewise speaks to the hope of the New Year and the clean slate we should always begin it with. Today, on the second to last day of 2015, Isaiah’s words keep playing over and over in my mind.

The beginning of a new year is perhaps one of the most glorious times of the year. It is a time of hope, forgiveness, new beginnings, gratitude and second chances. The fact that New Year’s falls so soon after Christmas is no coincidence whatsoever. The two days very much go hand in hand. But it wasn’t until the weekend before Christmas this year that I first came to recognize and understand that. 

The Saturday before Christmas I found myself lingering in a very long line at the Cathedral to go to Confession. Advent and Lent are the two big times of the year for people to go to Confession so I was in no way surprised to see so many people. Of all the blessings of being a Catholic, the sacrament of confession is the one I’m most grateful for and have taken the most seriously since coming into the church. The reason for that is simple. Coming into the church was my way of acknowledging that Christ is my salvation….but concurrently, that I am imperfect and need healing and guidance to transform into the best version of myself. 

I’ve heard a lot of people say that the best part of confession is hearing the priest say that they are absolved of their sins. While that is certainly a powerful moment, I feel the greatest power of the sacrament just outside the confessional. While I was at the very end of the line upon arriving at the Cathedral, people continued to pour in behind me as I waited. I was so focused on my prayers though and what I intended to confess that I didn’t realize just how many people. 

After making my confession, I opened the confessional door to walk out. When I first glanced up, I was astounded to see two long lines of people flanking both sides of the aisle and stretching clear back to the altar. As I walked down the aisle between the people, I couldn’t help but feel a remarkable warmth of hope inside me. Here were dozens of people—just like me—who not only felt shame over failures and inadequacies in their lives but who were also filled with hope. The hope for a second chance was the only thing that had led them to the church that day. What a blessing it was to be standing in a room filled with so much HOPE!

On my way out of the church that day, I turned to look back at the confessors in line again and was reminded of one of the last things the priest had said to me that day…..”You’re in a house full of sinners, so you’re in good company.” All of us make mistakes and lead lives that fall short of what we hope and aspire towards. The ones who overcome all of that though are the ones who take responsibility, take action, and always hope.

While each year of our lives marks a special part in our story, it is merely one chapter buried in the middle of the book. Each morning when we wake up and find we still have air in our lungs and a heart drumming in our chest, we need to take that as a sign that God has not given up on us yet. And that there is more to be written still in our story. The New Year, much like Christ’s arrival at Christmas, is that great light in the darkness that beckons to us and reassures that whatever mistakes we’ve previously made we can always repent and move on from, that whatever dreams we’ve failed to bring to fruition can still come true, the burdens and trials currently plaguing us will not last forever, and that it is “never too late to be what you might have been,” as George Eliot put it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment