Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Wallace's 1st Birthday

“Such short little lives our pets have to spend with us, and they spend most of it waiting for us to come home each day.”

A few weeks ago I found myself still on the fence about whether or not I should host a 1st birthday party for our dog, Wallace. I knew the notion would come across as ridiculous to many, especially to those people in my life who have actual children to throw parties for. But when I came across the quote above while scrolling Facebook one day, the decision was solidified in my mind. Wallace deserved this party….not because he was turning one but because of his service to my family.

I have had a lifelong love for dogs since I woke up on Christmas morning at around 2 years old to find my very first puppy squirming about in a cardboard box. While I don’t exactly remember that day, I do know that the bond Cody and I formed that morning and the love I quickly developed for her would stay with me the rest of my days.

Dogs are these incredible creatures that I am quite sure God put on earth as a daily reminder of just how easy and necessary it is to offer unconditional love to everyone we come across. They are the gentle faces and warm tongues that await us shortly after rolling out of bed each day. They are the wagging tails and enthusiastic butt wiggles that greet us after a long day at work. They are the patient friends who will sit and listen earnestly, quietly, and without judgment as we vent to them about the frustrations of the day. They are the ever loving and understanding ones that, even after we yell at them and swat them on the nose for misbehaving, still look up at us with dark, soulful eyes filled with nothing short of love and admiration for us.

Dogs are quite simply the kind of best friend we have always longed for but never quite found in another human. And for that reason, I held a party for Wallace—to celebrate not only his entrance into the world, but also his entrance into the hearts of my family.

Wallace’s party, though only attended by a small number of people, was a lovely success. I think one of my favorite moments was looking up to see my work spouse, Karen, walking up the sidewalk clutching a shiny silver balloon with her yellow lab, Rio, in tow. I would have expected nothing less from another true dog lover.


A simple fare of hot dogs and macaroni and cheese was provided for the human guests along with chocolate and peanut butter cupcakes. For Wallace and his one furry party guest, I had baked homemade dog treats as well as made a peanut butter, banana and bacon cake with cream cheese frosting.




After singing happy birthday to Wallace, he and Rio were treated to large slices of cake. This was followed by the tissue paper chaos of opening gifts. Laughs were had by all that day and Wallace passed out hard after everyone said their goodbyes.



I’m not sure that Wallace ever realized that he had just turned one years old. Or that all of the people in our house that day were there for him. But he was ecstatically happy the entire afternoon, which is all I could have hoped for.

Recently, I had the opportunity to catch up with a friend who has been serving in the Peace Corps in Benin, Africa. During our conversation, she expressed great tribulation over the fact that a cat she had taken in shortly after arriving in Africa had fallen ill just as she was leaving to head stateside for a few weeks. The problem, she explained, is that the concept of having animals as pets does not exist over there. There are not veterinarians on every street corner like we have here. And the idea of giving them medicine and trying to take care of them as though they are family members seems insane to the native people. I laughed trying to imagine what the Benin people would have through of my dog birthday party.

Andy and I have been told that we treat Wallace better than some people treat their kids. I know that statement to be disturbingly factual. But the thing is, he’s earned it. We don’t give him abundant love, affection, day care days, dog houses, and toys just because of his cute face and wiggle butt. We do it because he brings a little more joy to our lives each day.

Earlier this week I was having a particularly rough night and felt hopeless and frustrated about practically everything. I found myself laying on my living room floor crying like a small child. Suddenly, Wallace walked over to me and began licking my face until all my tears were wiped up. Then he stood over me for several minutes while I scratched his chest and calmed myself down. That, my friends, is the kind of intuitive love dogs have for us.

What I have come to learn about pets and people is that when you are a true dog/cat/horse/animal-of-any-kind-lover, you understand in a deep and profound way the importance of sharing your life with animals. You understand the unconditional love they give. You understand the unrivaled companionship and loyalty you will find with them. You know that life with a pet is always a little bit brighter, more hopeful, funnier, and ultimately full.


For the people who have never had a pet or who have more lukewarm feelings about animals and the relationships people develop with them, they will never be able to understand this bond. But for those that do, you know exactly what I’m talking about. And you know that nothing on earth could ever shake that bond.





No comments:

Post a Comment