Friday, April 5, 2013

Being Honest....from the Heart to the Page

Having recently finished reading Steven King’s book, On Writing, I started thinking about the relationship between writers and honesty. King’s book presents an incredibly blunt and uninhibited view on what he knows about being a writer. He offers up the best advice he knows for those aspiring to follow in his footsteps. But what I took away from the book most was the dire and often unfortunate necessity of honesty---not only in how you write but to survive the life of being a writer.

One of the most liberating experiences of my life thus far was in writing my senior honors thesis in college. I made the decision just before starting my senior year that my thesis would be comprised of a collection of poems. What ultimately made this decision liberating was the fact that all of the poems, 20 of them in total, drew from personal experiences and relationships in my own life. And every week, I had to offer up these precious and often painful memories framed in stanza format to my fellow critiquing English majors. Every negative comment struck like a bat to the chest—knocking the wind out of me. You’d think this would’ve deterred me from continuing to write poems based on my life. But it didn’t.
And when it came time to present my final poetry collection at my thesis reading in April, I announced to the world in my abstract, that all of the poems were based on my life. And I knew as soon as people were made aware of that fact, they never looked at me or my poems the same.

I took memorable and life-changing moments from my life, laid them out for the world to see, and was thus liberated through my honesty.
The second most liberating experience of my life—one which spans numerous years, --- has been the choice to practice a practically extinct art form: the handwritten letter. Anyone who knows me fairly well knows that I best express myself through writing….which is good since I’m trying to be a writer. But the reason most people know this about me is because of the handwritten letters I have probably sent them at least a time or two.

My letters are so brutally honest---about my thoughts, feelings, desires, and fears, that they even scare me sometimes. The kind of things I’ve written about in letters to people are the same things all of us think and feel, but hardly any of us actually vocalize----even in letters. For some, writing letters is an escape route from actually having to say those things to the person’s face. For me, it’s simply the best way I know how to say everything.  I used to hold my breath every time I would drop one of my letters in the mailbox…knowing that it may or may not be received well due to the extreme honesty of it. I knew I risked damaging the relationships I have with some of the people I care about the most. But somewhere along the line, I stopped caring. And I kept writing.
Some people think my letters are crazy. Some simply appreciate the fact that I took the time to hand write them. But I’d be willing to bet that every single one of them, on some level, respects the fact that I had the guts to put all of myself out there like that.---to put down in ink every feeling in my heart and then slap a stamp on it as my own personal seal of approval and finality. And the thing is, every person I have ever written an incredibly personal and honest letter to, still talks to me. I’m pretty sure most of them still think I’m crazy and in need of some sort of censoring medication, but they still talk to me. And that’s why I know that if nothing else, they respect the fact that I wrote those letters. They respect it because they know they don’t have the guts to do it themselves.

My letters and my poems taught me how to be honest…not just in writing but in how I live my life. Being honest taught me how to free myself from all the fears and self-doubt plaguing my existence. And being free from those burdens wills me on as a writer and human being each and every day.
Life is so short, and you may only get one opportunity to say something important to that one person you really need to hear it. So say it. Say it to their faces, but if you can’t, say it in a letter. In my opinion, letters are a far more intimate and thorough way of getting the point across anyways.   

No comments:

Post a Comment