Thursday, September 19, 2013

Thank You To All My Teachers

This past Saturday at church it was mentioned that Catechetical Sunday would be celebrated the following day. I had never heard of this before, but was informed that it is a day where all catechists (teachers) within the church parish are honored for their service to the ministry of the Word. While Catechetical Sunday recognizes teachers within the church, it was suggested during the service that everyone also take time to remember any person in their life who has served as a teacher to them in any way.  

I instantly started building a mental list of all the people who have taught me something valuable. Before I knew it, I had to start writing them down because there was simply too many to keep track of. The following list includes some of my most memorable “teachers.” Among them are family members, friends, acquaintances, past school instructors and even an animal or two. Without these people I would never have survived this far in life and grown into the person I am today. I’m sure I missed some people and could never credit every single thing they each taught me, but I tried to highlight the best parts of the best teachers I could’ve asked for. 

My Best Friend, Jamie: You’ve taught me to always go after what I want and never give up on my dreams. You taught me what being a loyal friend is all about and that laughter truly is the best medicine….especially if it involves laughing at yourself. 

Hugh Ambrose: You gave me my first job out of college and taught me that I should never be afraid to put myself out there because you never know what opportunities might arise or who will be willing to give you a chance.

My favorite little kiddo, Camille: You taught me that sometimes the greatest source of happiness can be found in the simplest of things… like blowing bubbles.

My dog, Gracie Lou: You taught me that the keys to life are to live simply, speak loudly, take long naps, and eat heartily.

My college professor, Loren Graham: As evident by your office door eternally covered in rejection letters, you taught me to never let rejection diminish faith in myself or my courage to try again.

My college professor, Ron Stottlemyer: You told me once that, “If you want to be a poet, you need to be a perpetual beginner.”

My college professor, Lorna Milne:  You said that “If you are passionate about something, write about it right then.” My senior honor’s thesis was only possible by following this advice.

My friend, Sonny: You taught me that, even after 7 years, it is never too late to apologize and admit that you wronged someone. In doing so, you also taught me that one should never lose hope in gaining forgiveness. 

Stacy: You taught me that some mistakes are simply unforgivable in this life, but that should never stop a person from trying to make amends anyhow. And knowing that you tried your very best to set things right makes bearing the crosses that some will shoulder you with far easier.
  
My friend, Michaela: You taught me that something as terrible seeming as two friends getting braces in their mid-20s is still cause for a party and cupcakes. You’ve always showed me how to look for the positive in every situation.  

My boyfriend, Andy: You taught me that even the most impossible of friendships can be formed when you love someone enough. You taught me how to drop everything and lend a hand when someone is in need. You’ve always shown me how to maintain a piece of childish silliness. That when an opportunity doesn’t arise to go and make a better one on my own. You showed me the value behind a firm handshake. And you are one of the few men who has always convinced me that I can do and ride all of the same things as a guy.

My Grandpa, Ray: You taught me that taking long, aimless drives really is soothing to the soul. That you are never too old to continue doing the activities you’ve always loved. And that hamburgers truly are the one food item you can never go wrong with eating.

My Grandma, Noma: You taught me the value of devotion, both to family and friends and to one’s faith. And you taught me the importance of preserving family heirlooms and keepsakes as they hold the keys to who you are and where you came from.   

My dance teacher, Beth: You taught me the importance of loving one’s body just as God made it. You showed me how to speak from the heart and live my life the way I choose without concern over what the rest of the world thinks. You taught me the importance of faith and showed me how to live according to that faith each day. And most importantly, you taught me that I need to find what I love to do and then find a way to do something good with it. 

My friend, Chris: You taught me how to be a patient and non-judgmental confidant to a friend in need.  

My Mom, Susie: You taught me how to be a person of compassion that shows kindness to anyone in need. You taught me how to be a lady, even though I’ve often fought against it. You taught me how to always support people, even when you don’t understand the reasoning behind an action or belief. That I should never take any crap from anyone…least of all a guy. And you raised me to think for myself and to choose my own path in life. 

My Dad, Glenn: You taught me that that 4 main keys to success in life are to love what you do, work your ass off, don’t spend money before you make it, and be a kiss ass. You taught me humility and to never flaunt who you are or how much you own. How to be driven and go after your dreams with everything you’ve got.  You taught me confidence and that anything I want to do and be is possible if I first believe it. And you raised me to always be true to who I am and never worry about what the world might really think of me. 

My friend, Joey. You taught me that whatever God leads me to, He will lead me through…I still repeat this to myself on a daily basis. You taught me that no matter how busy you are, it is always possible to make time for the people who matter to you. That given enough space and time, people will always amaze you. You taught me how to love unconditionally. You taught me patience and the real reasons to pray. And you taught me that what I thought was a mere interest, is actually what I am meant to spend my life doing. 

I am eternally grateful to each of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment