Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The Strength of Desire

Before today, I had never heard of Diana Nyad. But after today, I will never forget her. On Monday, September 2nd, Nyad became the first person to swim the 110 miles from Cuba to Florida without a shark cage. To top that off, it was her 5th attempt to do so and she finally accomplished it at the ripe age of 64 years old. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!!!

I read through several articles on her today, and became more and more inspired with each one. People said that she had her whole heart set on completing the swim and that, for her, there was a higher calling in it. The sheer strength of her desire to complete the swim is what ultimately enabled her to transcend the pain and push through until the end.

But finding out that she had already attempted the swim 4 times prior told me all I needed to know about her. That and the fact that even into her 60s she kept the dream alive and pushed for one more go at it.

While I have never attempted a physical feat of that magnitude, my long-distance bike rides make be certain that I understand part of Nyad’s drive. There were always moments for me on my rides when I wanted to quit. The pain in my back and legs got so bad that to push onward seemed dangerous and foolish. But those were the moments that I knew most people would’ve given up. And I wanted to rise above the majority and push my body farther than was comfortable or sane. In the back of my mind, I think I always knew I would make it. If I hadn’t, I don’t believe I ever would’ve had the guts to begin the rides in the first place.   

For Nyad, her 4 prior attempts should’ve convinced her body that it simply couldn’t be done. And during her 5th try, I’m sure there came a point where her body just didn’t have anything left in it. But that’s the moment where her mind and inner desire took control and pushed her through until the end. I don’t believe any such acts get accomplished by one’s body alone. At the end of all feats of endurance, I believe the mind is what brings you to the finish line. Your body is merely along for the ride by that time.

In reading about Nyad, I couldn’t help but think back to Charlotte Sanddal, a woman I interviewed for an article earlier this year. At the age of 91, Charlotte is still competing in national and world swimming competitions. At the time of my interview, she was training for a competition being held in Italy on August 2--11. She too inspired me beyond words.

No matter the barriers, whether distance, age, past failures, or skepticism, humans have always proved that they have the capacity to accomplish amazing things. You simply have to want them bad enough. I truly believe that everyone is capable of such accomplishments, but not everyone is willing to tap into their inner most desires where the strength and courage to do them is derived. If you want something bad enough, you’ll find a way to make it happen. Diana and Charlotte are living testaments to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment