Friday, September 29, 2017

The Summer of Bart

French novelist, Colette, said it flawlessly when she wrote, “Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.”

This past spring, as I prepared for my husband to move to West Yellowstone for work for five months, I found myself worrying about getting lonely in his absence. It was an unusual concern for me to have considering I lived on my own for several years prior to getting married. But since marrying Andy, I have grown accustomed to waking up next to another beating heart each morning and a smiling face embracing me at the end of each day. What was I going to do without someone to keep me company every day….especially at night. 

Little did I know that a small, cotton-tailed ball of fluff would soon begin his daily check ins on me in Andy’s place.

Not long after Andy packed up and headed for West, I began a routine of checking on the progress of our grass seed filling in our back yard. After getting home from work each night I would walk out our back door onto the deck to see how the bare patches were continuing to fill in. On one such night I noticed a small brownish rabbit resting in one of the patchier areas of grass just off our deck.
“Hey there buddy!” I hollered out to him smiling. 

After giving me a quick once over out of the corner of his eyes, the rabbit deemed me harmless and remained nestled comfortably in his spot.

Having seen numerous rabbits bounding about between the yards in our neighborhood since moving into our house, I didn’t think much about this rabbit’s visit….until I came home the next evening to again notice a rabbit sitting in the same area of our yard. It looks suspiciously like the rabbit from the night before with its chestnut brown coat speckled throughout with patches of grey. 

Turns out….it was the same rabbit. 

Over the course of the next few weeks this curious critter made his nightly appearance around the same time and in the same section of our yard. He just sat there peacefully staring off into the distance. Occasionally he bent his head down to munch on a clump of grass. Wanting to befriend him and encourage him to hang around, I began leaving small pieces of bell peppers in the grass where he normally sat. I had no idea whether rabbits ate peppers but it was one of the only fresh vegetables I seemed to have around. And while he never seemed to eat very many (if any) of the peppers pieces, he did continue to show up nearly every night. 

Once I realized this rabbit might be hanging around for good, I decided it was only appropriate to name him. And the first name that came to mind was “Bart.” It may sound strange, but there was a comforting nature to Bart’s presence in our yard each night. I guess you could say he filled the husband gap during the week while Andy was away working.  I had someone to check in with each night when I got home. And while he wasn’t as interactive as Andy or even a dog, he was still there waiting at home for me each night. 

Oddly enough, once Andy returned home in September Bart stopped coming around. I guess he realized I didn’t need him as much anymore. Every once in a while I still catch a glimpse of a rabbit scurrying about our neighborhood. But I’m never quite sure if it’s Bart or not. I do like to think, however, that Bart continues to keep secret tabs on me and make sure that Andy is in fact home now to watch over me. I do hope when spring returns that so does at least the occasional appearance from my friend, Bart.


No comments:

Post a Comment